ST.Pauls Artane Football Club Behaviour Policy for Players and Parents
The ST.Pauls Artane Football Club is dedicated to providing a safe and enjoyable environment in which to play and participate in football, as well as developing social and community connections on and off the field. It is critical within a community based football club that values drive our behaviors and conduct. The wording of stated values and behaviors may change depending on the type of football team you are associated with around Ireland, but regardless of this there are some key principles that drive our conduct and behavior which are common across all football clubs.
SPORTSMANSHIP, RESPECT and HONESTY
Recognizing the contribution that all people make to our football club, treating them with dignity and consideration, as well as caring for the surrounds which we utilize and play in. We encourage fairness in decision making on and off the field, treating all participants as we would like to be treated ourselves.
We recognize that we all have a role to play within the club we are a member of and the impact that role can have on the greater community.
TEAMWORK and MATESHIP
We collaborate and work together to achieve outcomes and resolve issues. We support one another on and off the football field.
FUN and ENJOYMENT
We aim to make football enjoyable for all those participating in it. We recognise and reward the efforts of others and fuel the passion for everyone in our football club as well as having fun along the way.
We strive for best practice in everything we do - seeking the highest standards in order to achieve the best possible outcomes for our Club, our sport, our team and ourselves.
Parent/ Guardian/ Supporter Code of Conduct
1. Remember that children play sport for their enjoyment, not yours. Encourage them to
participate – do not force participation upon them
2. Focus on the child’s efforts and self-esteem rather than whether they win or lose.
3. Ensure that your child’s involvement is a positive football experience by encouraging your
child’s endeavours and displaying good sportsmanship at all times.
4. Never ridicule or yell at a child for making a mistake or for the team losing a game.
5. Encourage children to always participate according to the rules.
6. Remember that children learn best by example – applaud the efforts of all players in both
teams, not just your own child,
7. Support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from sporting activities and refrain
from using inappropriate language towards umpires, opposition teams and supporters.
8. Show appreciation and support of volunteer coaches, officials and administrators, without
whom your child could not participate.
9. Be supportive of the Clubs policies, procedures and guidelines and work with the club to
provide a positive environment for all involved.
10. Respect the umpire’s decisions and teach children to do the same.
11. Remember that smoking and the consumption of alcohol is unacceptable at games
and practice matches
12. Display control, respect, dignity and professionalism to all involved with the sport.
13. Remember that you are a supporter, do not become involved in on/off field issues, unless
your assistance to resolve the matter is asked for.
14. Acknowledge that Child Safety Standards are required by the club by law. Child safety is
paramount and act at all times in an appropriate respectful, consensual fashion towards
15. Respect that the responsibility of supervision and behaviour at club functions are the
responsibility of the parent, not the club, and actions that are not in line with club policies,
guidelines and procedures at such events will be dealt with by the Committee of
16. If there is a medical issue involving your child, do not run onto the ground let the ground
medics, team trainer and TM handle the situation. Parents of injured players should never
enter the field of play unless instructed to do so
Player Behaviour Code of Conduct
1. Support the values of the ST.Pauls Artane Football Club
2. Understand that by registering to play at the ST.Pauls Artane Football Club you agree to abide by
the FAI Laws of the Game, the rules as established by the Football League
and the policies, procedures and guidelines of the ST.Pauls Artane Football Club.
3. Respect the rights, dignity and worth of all individuals, by refraining from any discriminatory
practices including, but not limited to, discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender,
ethnic background, special ability/disability or sexual orientation, preference or identity.
4. Listen, respect and co-operate with the game plan and rules set down by your Coach,
leadership group (where applicable), Team Manager, officials and the Club and team mates,
question when appropriate, through the correct channels and in a respectful fashion.
5. Display respect for umpires and officials. Only your Team Manager may approach the official
or umpire during a break or after the competition
6. Control your temper. Verbal or physical abuse of officials, umpires, spectators or other
players deliberately or provoking an opponent is not acceptable. Work hard for yourself and
your team. Support and encourage all of your team mates. Both you and your team will
7. Be a good sport. Acknowledge all good players whether they be by your team or the other
team. Be proud to walk off the ground after each game knowing that you have given your
best effort and never involve yourself in an argument with opposing players, umpires or
8. Each team must group and shake the hands of the opposition team at the end of the game.
9. Treat all players as you would like to be treated. Do not interfere with, bully or take unfair
advantage of another player. Your involvement to play is for fun and enjoyment and winning
is only part of it.
10. Play for the ‘fun of it’ and not just to please parents and Coaches.
11. Reject the use of performance-enhancing substances in sport and abide by the guidelines
set FAI Anti-Doping and Illicit Drugs policies.
12. Respect that your actions on and off the field in a team and club environment can impact
your team mates and club in a negative fashion.
13. Understand that the Club does not accept underage drinking or the use of illicit drugs at club
sanctioned functions. This extends to the attendance at said functions under the influence of
alcohol or illicit drugs.
14. Understand and acknowledge that any breach of this code of conduct will not be acceptable
and will be dealt with by the Executive Committee of the Club